Sunday, November 1, 2009

A 22-mile run and 3 Boxes of Cereal Later: 4 Weeks Until Cozumel!

Rather than starting this post about my training, I'm actually going to start it with some thoughts on a New York Times article I read about marathons.

The topic of the article was about whether or not people who aren't considered "purist runners" should be considered marathoners. Basically, fast runners (who refer to themselves as "purist runners") are angry with the demystifying of the marathon by average Joes (of Janes) who enter a race simply to finish, normally hours after these faster runners. The resentment stems from the fact that slower runners who finish, no matter in what time, are given the same t-shirt and medal as those who finish in half the time. "Big deal?" is what you're probably thinking. However, I definitely see both sides to the argument.

Faster runners who ran marathons were once a rare species - the only ones to call themselves "marathoners." This definitely isn't the case anymore. I feel that everyone knows at least one person that has run a marathon and that's precisely what these faster runners have a problem with. To them, it is a sport, but they believe for slower runners, it's simply something to check off the "10 Things I Want To Do Before I Die" list. Several of the purist runners that were interviewed sound as though they would prefer if slower runners didn't participate at all - but really, is it ethical to let your own ego drive you to dissuade people from exercising? If it's one person's goal, why stop them? As a fast runner, honestly, how often are you going to wear that race shirt? Finally, to put it in financial terms, those "slower runners" are the reason that so many marathons exist now. Would an elite group of runners really be able to finance as many marathons as there are today? No. So suck it up, pass them in the first mile and stop complaining. Obesity if enough of a problem as it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sports/23marathon.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=slow%20runners&st=cse

As for me, I should be worried about my own weight issues. This past week, I've managed to eat an entire box of cereal each night for three nights straight. Definitely not healthy, particularly because I promptly pass out afterwards. The thing is though, I am constantly hungry! At times, my hunger is insatiable! But tonight I went out and bought some high-protein foods (non-fat yogurt, protein bars, fish and a protein drink supplement), so hopefully that should help fix the problem. Less carb overloading, more protein to allow me to finally feel full.

Despite my zany eating habits, I am proud of myself for my run on Saturday. I'd never run 22 miles before. Luckily, my friend Eloise ran with me for the first 15 miles; otherwise, the early morning silent run in the rain probably would have bored me to tears. I only had to run the last seven miles on my own, which wasn't bad at all. And I didn't bonk. On my last 20-mile run, I died around mile 18 because I slurped a GU packet too fast earlier in the run and then my stomach refused to take in any more later. When mile 20 came, I felt completely drained and definitely ready to get that GU out of my system. After both runs, I still had to teach my spin class in the afternoon. Neither was difficult, but I felt GREAT after my run this Saturday!

Finally, something important that I realized this morning: as challenging as it can be at times, this training is my release. I can let go and not worry about anything. Just see the puffs of warm air come out of my mouth and into the cold morning air. Just let my feet take me for miles and miles, with just the sound of my running shoes on pavement.


1 comment:

Alison said...

Hi Kassie,

Good for you for keeping up with your blog -- and your training, in particular! After Havana broke my years-long absence from running, a friend and I ran every night in Merida to keep him in shape for his triathlon. I have not been as good about running since returning to the US, but in the past 2 weeks I've returned to running in the morning and then biking to campus. It's nothing like what you're doing, but it feels good. Thank you for inspiring me to get back to running while we were in Havana!

Good luck in Cozumel and I hope you enjoy the experience -- not only of the day proper, but of the time you've spent mentally and physically preparing for it.

Sincerely,
Allison (aka, out of shape grad student who has slowly worked her way up to 5 miles)