Friday, January 23, 2009

Vivimos en Cuba por cuatro meses!

It’s true.

The rest of the study abroad group (Rose, Allison, Casey, Nick, Drew, Alec, Alex, Louisa, Alyssa, Adam, John, Sarah and Brittany) and myself have been living in Vedado (in Havana) since this past Sunday. I think the fact that we’re in Cuba took a few days to sink in.

It’s been an adventure thus far, exploring Havana Vieja (the historic district), la Universidad de la Habana (where we will be taking classes) and preparing to celebrate the birth of Jose Marti with torches in a march.

The adventure wasn’t too fun for me the first few days, having a nasty ear/sinus infection and an ever-present fever. I’m just now beginning to feel better and I can’t wait to experience the nightlife that Havana has to offer!

We have some in the group who love to salsa, others who want to learn to box and…me? I’m still trying to figure out what it is that is authentically “Cuban” that I want to take away from this. Plenty of time to figure that out though. This is simply the introduction to an eye-opening four months.

No comments: